Holy cow, these muffins are AMAZING! Hands down, the best muffin recipe I have ever made in my entire life.
Because it’s October and a pint of blueberries cost $3.99, I used a package of frozen blueberries for less and double the berries. Honestly, you really would never know the difference and my wallet is happy for that!
The most interesting part to this recipe is topping the muffins with a blueberry reduction sauce. It’s brilliant and I bet this technique transfers well into other muffin recipes. Ooh, the possibilities are endless.
So while there are a lot of steps to these blueberry muffins, the payout is so worth it. Give yourself 30-40 minutes in the kitchen for this fantastic breakfast treat!
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups blueberries (1 cup reserved)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 stick butter, melted and completely cooled (melt in small saucepan over stove while doing step three)
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (+2 tablespoons flour)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (+ 1 teaspoon sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Chobani Greek Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line muffin pan(s) with cups or grease with cooking spray.
- Prepare your crumble – with clean hands, mix together light brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter cubes in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, reduce 1 cup of blueberries, sugar and lemon juice to 1/4 cup. Use a fork to mash the blueberries together. Let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1-1/4 cups sugar and eggs together until thick (about 1 minute).
- Whisk melted butter into sugar mixture, then yogurt and vanilla.
- Toss remaining 1 cup of frozen blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour (if using fresh blueberries, omit this step).
- Pour wet mix into the dry ingredients bowl, top with blueberries and fold together until just moist.
- Spoon equal parts of batter into muffin pan and top each muffin with 1 teaspoon of reduced blueberry mixture. Then sprinkle each muffin with crumble mixture.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 10-15 minutes and enjoy!