You’ll love this Broccoli Chicken Mac & Cheese – it’s creamy, savory and hearty with the bits of chicken.
But, I have to ask… Why are carbs and cheese SO GOOD?! WHY?!?!
This is a battle I’ll fight the rest of my life, I just know it. I can barely say “no” to the bread basket whenever out to dinner. I love breakfast potatoes. And fries. Fresh Italian rolls. Also, English muffins and any type of cheesy dip known to man. Like spinach and artichoke dip.
This was the first time I made mac and cheese on the stove. Usually I cheat and buy Annie’s Mac and Cheese in the box (it’s SO good!) and add my own veggies.
I’ll make this again, except maybe I’ll sprinkle some bread crumbs on top and stick it in the oven to get crispy. I love almost-burnt-pasta. Hey, I grew up on having leftover fried macaroni. What do you want from an Italian household? 🙂
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta shells (about 1/2 a box)
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 2 crowns)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, julienne
- 6 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese (substitute any cheeses that add up to 6 oz.)
- 4 slices American cheese
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta in a large pot, according to directions.
- About four minutes before the pasta is done, add the broccoli and stir.
- Strain the pasta and broccoli.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and whisk the milk, sun-dried tomatoes and cheese. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Once melted, add the pasta, broccoli and chicken. Stir well and serve immediately.