What’s cuter than a bunny butt on a cupcake?! This adorable dessert warms my heart. 🙂
The anatomy: These semi-homemade cupcakes have a chocolate cake base, topped with chocolate frosting and dipped in crumbled cookie bits. The fluffy bunny butt is vanilla cake mixed with vanilla frosting and rolled in shredded coconut. You’ll get crafty piping bunny feet with white and pink chocolate.
Don’t let these cute butts deceive you. While they’re pretty simple to arrange, there is lots of prep and detail work! Make sure you have a solid couple hours to bake the cupcakes, let them cool and decorate.
It’s the perfect weekend project with friends/family. Heck, even get the kids involved to frost cupcakes or roll the butts in coconut. This is a very forgiving recipe.
What better way to celebrate the start of spring?
Once you arrange your cupcakes, butts and all, your BFF will be toothpicks. Keep these handy in case any butts or tails start to be lopsided. If you end up with any leftover cupcake bases, frost and decorate them with pastel sprinkles.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- Tub of vanilla icing
- Tub of chocolate icing
- 8 chocolate cookies, crumbled (or put through a food processor)
- 10 vanilla cupcakes, crumbled
- Vanilla icing
- Mini marshmallows
- Shredded coconut
- 20 white candy melts
- 5 pink candy melts
- First, make the cupcakes for each box of cake mix. Let cupcakes cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling/baking, make the butt, tail and feet.
- For the butts, crumble 10 vanilla cupcakes and mix it with 7-8 tablespoons of vanilla icing. Form 1" cake balls. Heat 1/2 cup of the vanilla icing in the microwave until it's liquidy. Roll the cake balls in the icing, then roll in shredded coconut. Let cool.
- For the tail, roll mini marshmallows in the melted vanilla icing and roll in shredded coconut. Let cool.
- For the feet, use a decorators bag to pipe melted white chocolate in the shape of bunny feet on wax paper. Let cool in the fridge, then pipe melted pink chocolate "pads" on the bunny's feet.
- To assemble, ice the cooled cupcakes. Dip each one in the "dirt" cookie mix.
- Use a toothpick to secure the "bunny butt" to the cupcake. Then use another toothpick to secure the tail.
- Place the feet on the cupcake, just below the butt.