This is the banana bread recipe that puts every other to shame! As a chai tea lover, when I stumbled on this Chai Spiced Banana Bread recipe, my eyes got HUGE! Half the fun was smelling all of the wonderful spices melding into a banana-vanilla infused mixture. Pure heaven.
Before baking this, I made a trip to the grocery store to pick up a few items… including sour cream. When I reached that aisle I became completely distracted by the Axelrod Onion Dip that I forgot all about the sour cream! I realized this in the middle of baking, too. Luckily you can substitute the same amount of sour cream for yogurt, plus extra baking soda (1 cup = 1 teaspoon baking soda).
Nothing smells like home more than banana bread baking in the oven and the aromas wafting through the house. Mmmm…
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, broken up into pieces
- 1/2 cup Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt (+ 1/2 teaspoon baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces chopped walnuts or hazelnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the bananas and yogurt (+ 1/2 teaspoon baking soda) and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. Slowly add to batter mixture.
- Stir in nuts, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan bake for 50-60 minutes until deep golden brown (insert a toothpick in the middle of the bread to see if it comes out clean).