When was the last time you properly cleaned your yoga mat? *Crickets*
Join the club if you answer is ‘never’! Saying it out loud is a little embarrassing, considering where my yoga mat has been over the last eight (gasp!) years. In order of the nastiest to cleanest places, my yoga mat has made frequent visits to a:
- College gym floor
- Public gym floor
- Yoga studio floor
- Private gym floor
- My apartment floor (ok, this one is clean)
I’ve sprayed my mat down a few times over the years, but never thought to put it through the washer. Make sure you do it once a month if you use your mat regularly – it’s very easy to do!
- 1 dirty yoga mat
- 1 cap full of laundry detergent
- Washer machine
- Optional: Splash of bleach
- Put your dirty yoga mat in a washer machine.
- Set the temperature to “hot” and fill the water to the highest level. Set to “normal” cycle.
- Pour in 1 cap full of laundry detergent and add the bleach (if using).
- Let the washer run its cycle. Then lay the yoga mat flat to dry.