Whether for a little girl dressing up as a princess… or, for my adult friends and I dressing up for the Color Me Rad 5K … this is a super easy project to make your own tutu!
While at my local craft store, Michael’s, I saw GLITTER tulle. I couldn’t resist. I love sparkles, shimmer and anything that radiates (I always say… if I were one of those deep ocean fish, I wouldn’t last a DAY!).
Just look at these sparkles. They’re so much fun!
Making my tutu was very easy. Surprisingly easy. You need white ribbon, tulle and scissors. After you measure out the length of ribbon to fit around your waist, you just tie halved pieces of tulle around it.
Here are the exact brands and lengths of tulle I used, but this is a flexible project. Use more or scatter in bright colors.
Here’s the finished product – on some adult ladies (pre-color bombed!) at the Jersey Shore Color Me Rad 5K.
You can make this DIY Tulle Tutu, too! Time to get crafting!
- White ribbon
- 6 inches x 10 yards of glitter tulle
- 6 inches x 20 yards of white tulle
- Wrap the white ribbon around your waist and pinch where it meets, marking that spot with a pen. Allow for 10 extra inches per side (for tying) and cut.
- Tie two small knots where the ribbon met around your waist. You’ll tie the tulle in between those two marks.
- Pull out some of the tulle (either glitter or white). Stand up and cut off enough so that when a piece is folded in half, it reaches mid-thigh.
- Measure (using your first piece as a gauge) and cut the remaining tulle.
- With one piece of tulle folded in half, place it behind the ribbon. Pull the loose ends through the loop.
- Repeat for all, scattering the glitter pieces throughout.