I attended my first ever Pi Party last week on… yup, you’ve guessed it: March 14th! My friends are the absolute cutest… a night full of wine and pie? Don’t have to ask me twice. 🙂
So in honor of this very sacred holiday, I chose to make a pie I never made before… Key Lime Pie! And what’s a pie without a homemade graham cracker crust? My thoughts exactly.
So start off with the crust – mix crushed graham crackers, sugar, pinch of salt and melted butter and press it into a pie pan. Pre-bake, then set aside.
…. just wondering, why would anyone buy graham cracker crust in the store when it’s so easy to make?
While the crust is in the oven pre-baking, get squeezing if you bought a bag of key limes! They look like tiny, round versions of its larger lime cousin.
Absolutely adorable, but a complete pain in the butt to squeeze! And for that, I found the easiest home hack…
… use a garlic press! Omigosh, this made squeezing a pound full of limes so easy!
Just cut the key limes in halves or into quarters, then squeeze in the garlic press. It also catches any seeds. Double bonus!
After all of that squeezing, 1 pound of limes will equal only 3/4 cup of juice. You’ll glare at the big bowl of hollow shells, wondering why the first person to ever make key lime pie thought this was a good idea, HOWEVER… you’ll be relieved to know that you only need 3/4 cup of key lime juice for this recipe.
For those who cheated and bought the bottled key lime juice, I’ll just hate you from a distance for your resourcefulness.
The easiest part is the actual pie filling – mix the key lime juice, zest, sour cream and sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
Then, bake for about 7 minutes… grudgingly put the pie in the fridge, and enjoy chilled with whipped cream! You’ll love how tart and light this pie is, making it a perfect warm weather dessert.
And there you have the easiest Key Lime Pie in the world! May I suggest washing down a slice with a margarita?
- 1 1/2 cups or 10 whole Honey Maid Low Fat Graham Crackers, crushed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch of salt
- 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup (1 pound of fresh key limes) key lime juice (freshly squeezed, if you can)
- 1 teaspoon grated key lime zest
- For garnish: Whipped cream or limes slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix all of the ingredients together. Press into a pie dish.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth and clump free.
- Pour the pie filling into the graham cracker crust. Smooth top with a spatula.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until you see tiny-itty-bitty bubbles on the pie's surface.
- Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream and/or lime zest before serving.
- Store: In the fridge
- Tip: To juice fresh key limes, cut the key limes in half or into quarters... then press them in a (clean!) garlic press!