A sweet morning treat, perfect for your sweetie! These muffins are made with fresh cranberries, chopped walnuts and secret ingredients… sour cream and yogurt.
Inspired by deli muffins I found on Crunchy, Creamy, Sweet, I took a stab at making these and I’m glad I did! They have just the right amount of tartness, topped with a lemon glaze that brings all the flavors together.
The recipe called for 1 cup of sour cream or plain yogurt. Because I had exactly 1/2 cup of each, I went splitzies. I think the muffins came out fantastic that way, so I definitely recommend it!
Hubs has been grabbing one of these muffins every day before work, while I’ve been bringing them to work for a mid-morning snack. They’re super easy to bake and so festive for February.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped (1/4 cup reserved)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin pan with baking cups.
- Whisk the egg and sugars until lump free. Add the oil and sour cream/yogurt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, then add the 3/4 cup of cranberries and fold again.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon the dough into each baking cup until it's 3/4 of the way full.
- Press the 1/4 cup of reserve cranberries on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, make the lemon glaze by mixing the powdered sugar, lemon juice and water (note: to make the glaze thicker, add more powdered sugar to your liking).
- Once the muffins are cool, drizzle the lemon glaze on top of each muffin using a spoon. Let stand for 5 minutes to let the glaze harden.