I blindly came up with this sandwich last year and was shocked at how robust and delicious it was! At the time I was living alone and looking back I’m not proud to say that I ate about four portions of this sandwich all on my own. 🙂
I recently made this again with a few alterations:
- I didn’t have Trader Joes’ Garlic Ciabatta bread on hand, so I used plain Ciabatta bread (if you have access to the garlic one, get it!).
- I originally used 1/4 cup chopped, sauteed onions. I skipped that and used red bell pepper.
- I added something new – fresh mozzarella. Never skimp on this!
I love, love, love the Roasted Red Pepper Spread from Trader Joe’s – you can use it on a turkey sandwich or as a dipping sauce for a roasted veggie strudel. If you’re making this and don’t have fresh mozzarella, I bet a few shavings of Parmesan would taste amazing.
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed (OR, 4 pieces of chicken breast, grilled)
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Few slices of fresh mozzarella
- Ciabatta bread (OR, roasted garlic ciabatta bread at Trader Joe’s!)
- Trader Joe’s Roasted Red Pepper Spread
- Sprinkle the raw, cubed chicken with salt and pepper, as well as some red pepper flakes (however hot you like it).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the chicken over medium-high heat until light brown. Keep warm on a separate plate.
- Meanwhile, drizzle a little extra olive oil in the same skillet and saute the red bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and spinach, then cover until spinach is wilted.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and give it a good toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Generously coat both sides of the ciabatta bread with the Trader Joe’s Roasted Red Pepper spread.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto bread and top with two slices of fresh mozzarella.