I think I’m going through a gnocchi
obsession phase. Earlier this month I had it for dinner during my vacation with Hubs and since then I’ve been loving these little potato dumpling-macaroni thingies.
I’ve read that making homemade gnocchi is pretty easy, but I decided to take the semi-homemade way out with buying it pre-made and making the sauce from scratch.It turned out pretty fabulous, if I do say so myself.
Start off by roasting the tomatoes, which brings out all of the sweet flavors. Then layer in sauteed garlic, fresh basil, a pinch of this, a pinch of that.. and you’ll have an delicious roasted tomato sauce. Make sure to have some crusty bread handy. You won’t want to let a drop go wasted!
Put this recipe on your next meal plan! Bonus points if you use tomatoes straight from your garden. Your kitchen will smell AMAZINGGG.
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 10 basil leaves, juilienne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (17.6 oz.) gnocchi
- Parmesan cheese
- Optional: Extra red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.
- Spread the tomatoes out on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, sprinkle on the red pepper flakes and the salt and pepper. Toss well, then roast for 20 minutes. Give it a stir, then put back in the oven for another 10 minutes (total baking time: 30 minutes).
- Once the tomatoes are done, start boiling a pot of salted water for the gnocchi. Add it to the water once it boils. It'll be ready in 3-4 minutes once the gnocchi start floating to the surface. Drain well.
- In a large pan over medium-low heat, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and saute until fragrant (1 minute). Add the tomato sauce, roasted tomatoes, basil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss the cooked gnocchi in the roasted tomato sauce, adding more red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.
- Transfer to a large bowl, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
- This recipe is heavy on the sauce... I suggest making a loaf of garlic bread for yummy dipping!