A dish that LOOKS like it was a lot of work, but was really a big mosh of ingredients mixed together in a big bowl. *sly grin*
This grilled chicken caprese pasta bake is just. so. simple. The only trick I threw in here was using Greek yogurt in lieu of cream to save on calories and inches off my
waistband arms thighs butt. God. Is any woman happy with what they have? Let’s gripe about our body over a bowl of carbs. 🙂
A bowl full of carbs… with a healthy spin! I used whole wheat pasta, which I like to think is healthier and more filling than the white version. There’s also a boat load of chicken (hello, after workout protein!), fresh tomatoes, zesty garlic, summer fresh basil and… a creamy sauce, thanks to the tomato-sauce-meets-Greek-yogurt combo. Kind of like the consistency of baked ziti.
Because there is only two of us, Hubs and I ate this for an entire week. I can’t complain. I came home from work, hit the gym, then reheat this delicious dish for dinner!
If you have a lot of mouths to feed, whether for your family, BBQ or dinner party, you’ll love this recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into chunks and grilled
- 9 ounces shell or penne pasta
- 24 ounces fire roasted pasta sauce (I used Classico’s Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic sauce)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 small vine tomatoes, chopped
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, grated
- 8-10 basil leaves, julienne
- If you haven’t done so already, cut up the chicken and grill. Then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to the box’s directions – make sure it’s al dente, not soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese, garlic, red pepper flakes, vine tomatoes, 3/4 of the fresh mozzarella and HALF of the basil leaves. Stir well.
- Once the pasta in cooked and drained, mix in the tomato sauce.
- Pour into a 8×10 baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling and/or the cheese is browning.
- Sprinkle remaining basil on top and serve immediately (suggested sides: garden salad or hunk of Italian bread!)