These stuffed peppers are the ultimate healthy weeknight dinner, with leftovers to boot! Stuffed with ground turkey, rice, garlic, caramelized onions and spinach, these peppers are bursting with flavor!
As a family of two, Hubs and I ate these peppers for practically a week! It probably didn’t help that I cut every pepper I ate in half, reserving it for lunch or dinner the next day.
This dish is so customizable – you can add couscous or quinoa in lieu of the rice, kale instead of spinach, even add zucchini or chopped asparagus to spice things up. For vegetarians, just drop the ground turkey and replace with your favorite veggies.
There’s my pepper cut in half. Now you can see why I only ate half at a time! Enjoy this skinny recipe – just make sure to have a cookie for dessert!
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove the stems from the peppers and clean out the seeds and fleshy interior. Chop up the pepper tops (minus stems) and set aside.
- Place the peppers in a baking dish that will allow each to stand upright. Add 1/4″ of water to the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- Add the ground turkey to a large pan and cook until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat, drizzle olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and chopped pepper tops and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the fresh spinach and garlic to the same pan. Stir until the spinach wilts down.
- Add the sauce, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Taste test and add more of each to your taste.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the cooked rice, ground turkey and half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon the ground turkey mixture to each bell pepper. Top each pepper with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the stuffed peppers with foil, making a tent. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Take the foil off and bake for an additional 20 minutes.