A delightfully easy hummus recipe that screams of fresh lemon juice and zesty garlic! Once you try this recipe you’ll never want to go back to the store-bought stuff.
Especially because 1 can of chickpeas costs about $1. ONE DOLLAR. What now $4.99 pre-packaged hummus?!
I have a confession. I actually ate this lemon-garlic hummus (with a tiny bit of leftover antipasto salad) as dinner earlier this week. Despite the lack of protein, I felt good about eating this. Fresh basil, lemon, garlic, EVOO…
And to boot, Hubs absolutely loved it. He even turned his terra potato chips away to eat this hummus with tortilla chips. I mean, who can turn away a bag of those things? It was the Trader Joe’s Vegetable Root Chips, to be exact.
Enjoy this hummus — perfect for a party appetizer (just double the recipe) or a go-to healthy snack.
- 15 ounces (1 can) chickpeas, strained and lightly rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic cloves and a few (not all) tablespoons of olive oil in a medium bowl.
- Using a immersion blender (if you don’t have one, combine the ingredients in a food processor instead), blend until combined. Add more olive oil to achieve the creaminess/consistency that you like. For me, that was about 5 tablespoons.
- Scoop hummus out of the bowl into a serving platter and garnish with basil. Enjoy with pretzel flats, veggies or pita bread.