What’s perfect to serve to the masses and extremely easy to make? SLIDERS!
These Sausage & Pepper slides are SO EASY. In one pan, saute the peppers, onions and garlic. In another, brown the sausage. Then bring it all together with tomato sauce for a savory, lick-your-fingers dish. Pile it high on mini slider buns, and they’ll be gone faster than Peyton Manning can yell, “Omaha!”
If you want to get real fancy, chop up a potato and saute it with the onions and peppers or chop up chicken and cook it alongside the sausage. It’s a little extra work, but so worth it if you have the time.
- 1 package of hot or sweet sausage (5 links)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bell peppers (any color), seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce (if using jarred sauce, I recommend any of the Rao's tomato sauces)
- Mini slider buns
- Heat a large skillet over a medium-high flame and add the sausage links (no olive oil needed if using a non-stick pan). Rotate the sausage every few minutes to brown on each side.
- One by one, take the sausage and slice into 1/4" pieces (note: you'll see that it's still raw in the middle - it's OK!). Place the sausage slices back into the hot pan and cook until those are all brown. Set cooked sausage aside.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers. Saute for 5-7 minutes until soft and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and saute for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the peppers and onion pan, add the sauce and sliced sausage. Taste test and add more salt and pepper to your liking.
- Scoop sausage and peppers onto sliced mini buns and enjoy!