An easy go-to weeknight dinner… warm-your-bones slow cooker pulled chicken tacos!
In my Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork post a few months ago, I mentioned how I wanted to try a chicken version. Well, I’m about two months late but I finally did it!
What’s better pork or chicken? I’ll leave that up to you. But for those who are calorie counting, here are my nutrition discoveries based on 3 ounces, compliments of Livestrong.com:
- Pulled Pork: 283 calories
- Pulled Chicken: 184 calories
- Verdict: The pulled chicken will save you about 100 calories.
- Pulled Pork: 13 grams total fat (4 grams saturated fat and 97 milligrams of cholesterol)
- Pulled Chicken: 8 grams total fat (2 grams saturated fat and 68 milligrams of cholesterol)
- Verdict: The pulled chicken will save you 5 grams of fat.
Protein & Carbohydrates:
- Pulled Pork: 29 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbohydrates.
- Pulled Chicken: 20 grams of protein and 8 grams of carbohydrates.
- Verdict: The pulled pork will give you more protein.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (+1 teaspoon reserved)
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin (+3/4 teaspoon reserved)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies (I used Del Monte’s Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies)
- 1 medium scallion, diced
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and 1/8 teaspoon each of chili powder and cumin.
- Add black beans and diced tomatoes to slow cooker pot. Season with 1 teaspoon chili powder and 3/4 teaspoon cumin, mix well.
- Place chicken breasts on top of tomato-bean mixture. Cook on high for two hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Drain about 1/4-1/2 cup of liquid from pot.
- Return chicken to pot and shred with two forks. Turn slow cooker dial to “keep warm.” Sprinkle with scallions.
- Serve in taco shells/tortillas. Top pulled chicken with your favorites - avocado, shredded cheese, lettuce, onions, salsa.