One of my favorite dishes to make for dinner is pulled pork. It’s the easiest thing to make and it serves a crowd! Or… Hubs and I for an entire week, who then get sick of it and don’t make it again for another 6 months. It’s a never ending circle!
This pulled pork recipe is quite interesting. I’ve always been a #1 fan for Mexican pulled pork (I have an awesome recipe here!), which is tomato based with salsa and spices like chili powder. However, this recipe calls for two crazy ingredients: balsamic vinegar and strawberry preserves.
Yes, you read that right.
Of course, after cooking over night in my slow cooker I asked Hubs to taste test while I was pulling it. He said that this pulled pork has a smokey flavor.. and I have to agree! It’s such a funny thing because balsamic vinegar and strawberry preserves are sweet. But can you guess the dark horse that shows its flavors at the end? It’s hoisen!
As with every pulled pork recipe I make, I always recommend topping it with a heaping spoonful of coleslaw. Whether you use broccoli slaw or a traditional bag of ready-mix slaw, this recipe is a sure winner!
- 3 pounds pork loin, fat trimmed off
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow or sweet onion, finely chopped
- Place the pork loin in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients - honey, balsamic vinegar, strawberry preserves, hoisin, chicken broth, garlic and onion.
- Pour over the pork loin, tossing to make sure it's evenly covered.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours.
- Once done, use two forks to "pull" the pork.