Want a fun, quick dinner to make with your other half? If you like shrimp and have armored taste buds with a flair for citrus, then this recipe is for you!
Last night after the gym Hubs was my sous-chef in preparing dinner. He chopped, sauteed and seasoned… oh, how Italians are so natural in the kitchen.
Word to the wise… careful when handling the jalapeno. A couple of days ago I was coring and chopping one… and don’t laugh… okay, fine you can laugh… the oils from the pepper got into the air and I couldn’t stop choking. It was as if I were breathing in a thick vapor. Then after I chopped the pepper the tips of my fingers started to burn with no relief (yes, despite washing them five times and sticking them in a glass of milk). Kind of like holding a hot pan out of the oven. But don’t let go. Don’t let it go!
Oh, but it doesn’t end there. Did I mention I wear contact lenses?
By the time I was washing up for bed, the burn had eased up and I had nearly forgotten about my jalapeno experience. That’s when I proceeded to take my right-eye contact out with the same hand that touched the pepper. I said a few words that rhyme with duck and itch. Mike thought it was pretty funny and in his defense, if roles were reversed, I would have been laughing hysterically on the floor. Now you know what my sense of humor is like! Hah!
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp, deveined and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, cored and minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (or the juice of 1 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Saute the garlic, onion and jalapeno until onion is translucent (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add red pepper flakes and oregano, stirring frequently for an additional 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, shrimp, lime juice, salt and pepper. Cover for 2 minutes until shrimp turns pink.
- Add frozen spinach to top of shrimp mixture, stir and cover for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Serve by itself or with brown rice.