This is a simple recipe, but it’s a staple. Follow this technique and you’ll have the perfect hard-boiled egg every time!
For me, the perfect hard boiled egg has a moist yolk that’s a little orangey (cooked, but definitely not dry). And once peeled and sliced, it’s topped off by a sprinkle of salt. Yum. Yum. Yum.
At work my breakfast of choice is a hard boiled egg, fresh fruit, dollop of yogurt and sprinkle of granola. With a cup of coffee, that probably comes out to $5 or $6-something… but if I made this at home, I could save a lot of money. That’s $100 a month! Oh, hello new wardrobe…
While you’re getting ready in the morning, set your oven timer and multi-task! Bring the water to a boil while you choose your outfit. Then let the egg sit for 7 minutes while you put on makeup, (or for the guys – get dressed and do your hair). Running late and can’t eat at home? Toss into a Tupperware container and eat at work.
Basically, a healthy breakfast isn’t hard to incorporate into your busy schedule. So skip the bagels, donuts and heart-attack-cheese-and-bacon-filled-wraps (because “wraps” are not healthy!) and treat your body right!
- 1 large egg
- Cold water
- Fill a saucepan with cold water enough to cover the egg by 1-2 inches.
- Add the egg and sprinkle with salt.
- Bring the cold water to a boil (about 7 minutes). Then cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 7 minutes.
- Carefully drain the hot water and rinse the egg with cool water.
- Peel, slice, sprinkle with some more salt — and enjoy!