Put your basil away and make way for broccoli pesto! You’ll fall in love with this super fast and healthy dinner that’s ready within 30 minutes. Oh yeah, babe.
Please don’t use frozen broccoli. It’s one extra step, chopping the broccoli crowns into florets, but it’s so worth it! You can taste the freshness and the vibrant green is just out of this world!
You know how food can be pretty? Yeah, this is one of those dishes.
As I look outside and will these New Jersey trees to start budding leaves, this is how I cope: by making very GREEN things in the kitchen. Oh, how I’m still California dreaming…
- 3-4 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bags (14 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes until bright green. Reserve 1/2 cup of the water, then strain the rest.
- To make the pesto, use a food processor to pulse the broccoli, parsley, oil, pine nuts, romano, salt and pepper.
- Using the same pot you boiled the broccoli in, cook the tortellini according to package instructions. Drain the tortellini and return it back to the pot. Add the broccoli pesto and slowly add the 1/2 cup of reserved water to loosen the sauce to your liking.
- Serve immediately, topped with romano.