A simple crostini recipe that you can whip up in just a few minutes! I was so happy that I had half a loaf of leftover Italian bread to go perfectly with the juicy, ripe vine tomatoes resting in my fridge.
Yes, it is winter and tomatoes aren’t normally in season. However, I lucked out at the grocery store and found ripe ones with a hint of a summer glow from its days growing down south. Needless to say, this made an excellent appetizer!
Toasting Tip: If you want crunchy crostini, cut thin slices of bread. If you want crunchy crostini on the outside with a soft middle, cut thick slices of bread.
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2-3 vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (+1 whole clove)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (bonus if you have fresh!)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: 1 hot Italain pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4-5 slices of Italian bread
- Combine onion, tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, hot pepper (if you’re using it), balsamic and oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside.
- Drizzle oil on bread and place in a skillet over medium-high heat. Toast until each side is golden.
- Before serving, put the whole clove of garlic in a garlic press and spread on crostini.
- Pile tomato mixture onto each crostini, making sure to drizzle any leftover balsamic/oil.