A quiche that’s delicious and beautiful. Swirls of zucchini and turkey bacon turn this ordinary quiche into a work of art. It’s creamy and savory with perfect umami (yes, the fifth taste — it’s an actual thing).
I was a crazy person and decided to make the crust from scratch. It’s worth the extra effort (sooo buttery and flakey!), however feel free to buy pie crust if you’re in a time crunch.
Ready to get started?
First, make the crust if you’re going that route. It requires two hours to chill in the fridge, followed by 30 minutes of pre-baking. So, take that time to prep the filling and… to chill out yourself. Oh, hello there, Pinterest….
Next up, make the filling. Whisk one egg with flour (thickening agent), then add remaining eggs. Add crème fraîche, milk, salt, pepper, dried thyme and broccoli. Set aside.
Now, get fancy. In the empty pie crust, carefully arrange the zucchini and bacon into “swirls.” Let them structurally support each other. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese around the swirls.
Get pouring. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pie crust. The zucchini/bacon swirls should hold their shape.
Finally, let it bake. For 20 minutes let the quiche bake at 375 F degrees, then 45 minutes at 325 F degrees. Prepare to feast your eyes on a gorgeous quiche!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 large eggs
- 6 ounces crème fraîche
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 broccoli crown, chopped
- 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked until slightly crispy
- 1 zucchini, mostly peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup extra sharp white cheddar
- In a food processor pulse the flour, salt and butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Add ice water until a dough forms. Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Once chilled, roll out the dough onto a floured surface. Make it slightly larger than the pan you'll use for the quiche. Place the rolled out dough onto the pan, trimming off excess. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Next, prebake the crust. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Remove plastic wrap and line the crust with parchment paper. Add pie weights and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Whisk 1 egg with 6 tablespoons of flour. Add in remaining eggs.
- Add crème fraîche and milk, followed by salt, pepper, thyme and broccoli.
- In the empty pie crust, arrange the bacon and zucchini into "swirls." Let them structurally support each other. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over it.
- Carefully pour the egg mixture over the swirls.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce oven to 325 F degrees. Bake for additional 45 minutes until set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.